4 Rules For Choosing the Right Size Rug
One of the most important decisions that can be made when buying a rug is making sure it is the right size. A properly sized rug can bring a room together, but an improperly sized one will make a space look awkward and unbalanced. Each room is different, but there are some general rules that can be applied to choosing the right size rug and placing it in a room:
· Always leave space between the rug and the wall. An area rug should never reach all the way to the wall. Instead, there should be at least 6 inches of space between the area rug and the wall, at minimum. If you want to use a single rug to cover the whole room, keep the floor measurements in mind and choose a rug size that will leave space between it and all the walls.
· Furniture placement should be consistent. Depending on the size of the room and the rug, you can place furniture such as couches, chairs, and tables either with all of their legs on the rug, only the front legs on, or with all legs off the rug. Whichever one you choose, be consistent and place all furniture on the rug in the same way. Having once piece be entirely on the rug while another is half on/half off makes the room look unbalanced.
· Square rugs for square rooms. In general, you want the shape of the rug to match the shape of the room. Because most living rooms are rectangular, living room rugs should be rectangular. This is especially true if you're using one rug to cover the whole room. It is possible to break up larger rooms with multiple rugs, in which case the rugs should be of the same shape and the furniture should be arranged around them to separate the room into "sections."
· Center round rugs under light fixtures. Round rugs are great for entranceways, parlors, and smaller rooms. If you have hanging lights or a chandelier in a room you want to decorate with a round rug, use the lights as a reference point for where to center the rug on the floor.
These general guidelines will help you find the perfect size rug for your room and place it just right. For even more tips and advice on how to find the right rug for every room in your house, consult our buying guide or visit our store and speak with one of our rug experts.
3 Tips for Choosing the Right Rug Color
When choosing a rug, it's very important to pick the right color and design for the room it will be placed in. In order to pick a rug color that matches your room and its decoration, use the following tips:
· Keep the color of the floor in mind. One of the most important factors in choosing a rug is the color of the floor it will be placed on. Rugs are a great way to add new color to a room, and choosing a rug that contrasts with the floor can do a lot to liven a space up. If you have dark wood flooring, a brightly colored rug will stand out nicely on top of it. Likewise, a darker or more richly colored rug will balance out more lightly colored flooring.
· Pick a color based on foot traffic. The more people who will be walking on a rug, the quicker it will start to show signs of wear. Rugs with lighter colors will show stains and age faster than darker ones, so you may want to choose a darker rug for the rooms you use most often. Pets, kids, and food will also wear out a rug faster, so dining areas and rooms where children and pets spend a lot of time should also be darker.
· Know what you want to stand out in the room. If you want your furniture, curtains, or painted walls to be the main focal point of a room's design, then picking a neutral, solid colored rug will compliment a room's décor without drawing attention to itself. On the other hand, for rooms with plainer or more somber furniture and decoration, a bright, patterned rug can brighten up the space and be the focal point of the room's color design.
Choosing the right rug color requires knowing what affect you want it to have in a room. To make sure you choose the best color rug for your space and your needs, it is always best to consult with a specialist. Speak with one of our specialists today, and let them know what you want to achieve with the color of your rug.
- What Happens to All That Wool?
- 4 Things to Do (and 3 Things Not to Do) When There's a Spill on Your Rug
- How Sari Silks Assist Women in India and Nepal
- The Value of Cleaning Rugs
- 4 Tips for Selling Antique Area Rugs
- How Fine Area Rugs Can Be Repaired
- Fine Handmade Rugs From a Dog's Perspective
- Try these tips to match your current furniture with the rugs you fell in love with
- Decorating Your Home? Visit Houzz.com for instant ideas and assistance.
- 5 Tips for Hanging Antique Fine Rugs as artwork
- Different types of handmade rugs
- Rug Materials to Stay Away From
- Alyshaan Rugs Expanding -- New Sedona Location Opening in June!
- Rules of Thumb for Placing Fine Rugs on Carpets
- Flatweave Rugs and Furniture Will Soon Be Available in Our 2nd Location!
- What area rugs are the most stain resistant?
- Tribal Rugs for Mesa Homes
- 3 Questions Any Good Rug Dealer Should Be Able to Answer
- Best of Two Worlds: Transitional Area Rugs
- Check Out All the Custom Rug Options You Have to Choose From!
10 Most Popular Blogs
- The Ultimate Guide To Different Types Of Rugs
- Bamboo Silk Making Waves in Area Rug Industry
- Sotheby’s $33 Million Dollar Rug: The Most Expensive Rug Ever Sold
- Do All the Large Area Rugs In Your Home Need to Match?
- Looking For Traditional or Contemporary Round Area Rugs?
- How To Choose The Right Size Rugs For Different Rooms
- Choosing The Right Size Handmade Area Rugs For Your Bedrooms
- 3 Important Points When Choosing Rugs For The Same Room
- Handmade Area Rugs From Pakistan or “Pakistani Rugs”
- How to choose the right size handmade area rugs for your Dining & Breakfast rooms